Studies & testing done by Universities and Research Institutes around the world have shown that photo-catalytic oxidation, the combination of ultraviolet (UV) light and Titanium Dioxide (TiO2), inhibits the spreading of bacteria, viruses and mold in the air, as well as eliminates foul odors and smell.
This combination or process creates hydroxyl radicals and super-oxide ions, which are highly reactive electrons. These highly reactive electrons aggressively combine with other elements in the air, such as bacteria and volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) which include harmful pollutants such as formaldehyde, ammonia and many other common contaminates released by building materials and household cleaners generally found in the home.
UV (ultraviolet) light is capable of breaking organic molecular bonds that hold biological cells together. Even a single, brief exposure to UV light can be sufficient to destroy mold, bacteria, viruses and many allergens. Our system works in two ways. First, the cellular damage caused by exposure to UV light makes biologic agents incapable of reproducing. Second, it ultimately leads to wide-scale destruction of unwanted, potentially harmful elements in your home’s air. UV light can be effective on:
Our whole home purification systems cleanse and sterilize the air at the unit itself, as well as in the ductwork, ensuring that threats are eliminated at all points, and that they cannot spread through your home.
In order to be considered in the C band, or “germicidal”, UV light must be in the range of 200 to 300 nm. The peak frequency when it comes to germicidal activity and effectiveness is 254 nm, which is the frequency of our UV bulbs.
No, do not use a UV light near most HVAC filters. The light can cause degradation of plastic, as well as other materials. Before installing a filter, check the manufacturer’s specifications on UV exposure.
Most of our bulbs are rated for about 10,000 hours, which equates to about a year of use. We recommend replacing your bulb(s) every year to prevent failure or reduced efficiency. Note that some of our bulbs provide longer lifespans (up to 13,000 hours with our G2000 system).
Mold thrives in dark, damp areas, and your HVAC system fits the bill perfectly, particularly around the condenser coil and drain line, but also within your air ducts, where condensation can create a perfect environment for mold to grow. Mold (and mold spores) has been proven to lead to asthma and allergic reactions.
Mold can be extremely difficult to remove from even exposed elements of your HVAC system, much less in hard to reach areas like the interior ducts. At Green UV, our light-based systems destroy mold’s ability to reproduce, ensuring that your entire HVAC system is clean and healthy.
While our UV lights do require a supply of electricity, you’ll find that they do not increase your utility costs throughout the year. In fact, many of our customers find that their utility costs actually decrease, thanks to improved system efficiency and performance.
The air within your home is constantly recirculated, meaning it’s actually only moved from room to room, and never really refreshed or replaced with fresh air. This creates serious health concerns, including the quick spread of mold, viruses, bacteria and allergens through your home. Poor indoor air quality has been linked to a myriad of health conditions, including asthma, allergies, upper respiratory infections, and more.